Email marketing: 5 tips to avoid common marketing misconceptions


Digital marketing can be a complex operation to understand and implement effectively. There are a number of common misconceptions and oversights which hinder an effective marketing strategy. Today’s post focuses on email marketing.

Less is more:

It’s easy to assume that more content in your marketing collateral equals more engagement from recipients. In reality, consumers are overstimulated with marketing content from hundreds of organisations every day. Humans can become overwhelmed when faced with too many options, so by reducing the number of options and establishing a clear message you are more likely to increase your click-through-rate (CTR).

The best approach is to send more emails with less content. The below formula can be used as a guide to creating an effective email template:

  • Header (featured article or announcement)
  • Short paragraph promoting content
  • A link to a product, webinar, landing page etc.
  • Up to two supporting articles

What works now won’t work forever:

It can be tempting to keep using the same template, images and call-to-actions (CTA) in every email once you’ve had a successful campaign. However, your email has strong competition once it reaches your recipient’s inbox. Providing engaging content to your database each time you contact them is essential. Capturing interest through an engaging subject line, byline and design with new and relevant content is a recipe for success in email marketing.

Don’t be afraid of unsubscribes:

Segmenting email lists to target potential clients who have previously engaged with your marketing collateral or expressed interest in your product offering is the most effective way of providing relevant and engaging content. But you can’t please everyone! Emails that engage you with long-term consumers will often turn off subscribers on the outskirts.

Mobile optimisation is crucial:

Only 30% of emails are opened on a desktop, leaving a massive 70% of people accessing emails via mobile devices. A good email marketing system makes mobile optimisation easy. For example, MYP’s eMarketing software automatically mobile optimises email templates, with a mobile preview option available to view templates prior to sending.

Structuring your content for mobile devices is also important. Using short, succinct paragraphs, leading with key information and including call-to-actions near the top of the email are conducive to mobile-friendly emails. Ensuring all buttons and/or links used are big enough to be clicked on a mobile device is another important consideration.

Research is key:

You can take advice from any marketing guru about ‘best practice’ and ‘current trends’ but the most valuable information for any marketing professional is data. Analysing the outcomes of your marketing efforts is the best way to understand what works specifically for your target market. Email marketing systems, such as eMarketing, collate relevant data for you at the click of a button. Understanding this data allows you to know when to contact your recipients and what content engages them.

about the author

roonie_halwala

ROONIE HALWALA | MARKETING CO-ORDINATOR, MYP CORPORATION

Roonie is a passionate marketing and design professional with experience in events, brand management, design, website development and account management. Roonie works directly with MYP clients on website, design and integration as well as supporting MYP’s corporate marketing, branding, communication and public relations strategies. Roonie is a true high achiever with a Bachelor of Business, Bachelor of Fine Arts along with achievements in Speech and Drama, art and languages.

grey-envelope

never miss a beat

Get notified when new blog posts are available to read!

Related posts:

Loading Facebook Comments ...